Monday, April 14, 2014

High School Fun

So remember when I posted about how I was doing a little Quilt show for the local High School sewing class and how I promised to share pictures.  Well, I forgot, sorry, it has been a bit crazy around here.  But I remembered this morning so we are all good now :)

The class was so incredibly fun to teach.  The girls where just blown away when I showed them some examples of more Modern and Modern Traditional quilting. They loved all of the bright new fabrics and fun chic designs.  It really was so incredibly fun to open their eyes to all of the possibilities there are in quilting today ;)



When we got to the breakout design session of the class, the girls really started to get into the fun.  I gave them all a stack of HST's and told them to create ;)

They created some ever popular designs and quite a few of my favorite designs . . .





And created some fun new innovative designs . . .



And in the end, even broke out of the idea of a square and really got the design groove going.  How fun would a quilt of just lines made by bright HST's be.  Totally on my list to make ;)


All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful experience!!   I can't wait to do it again ;)
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. What a fun day, it looks like the kids learned a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your day...I am sure you started some new quilters just by being there. Your idea of the half squares had to make your visit one of the most popular ones! I bet you get asked back:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing for you to do. Sharing your time and knowledge with our younger generation is the greatest gift they could ever want. Hope the day inspired many new future quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea preparing some half square triangles before hand to get the girls excited about design right off the bat, using fresh modern fabrics that would appeal to them. It is very generous of you to volunteer your time to interest the next generation quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure with teenagers, they are always ready to jump to the end of something. Having the HST's ready for them to design a block was perfect. Sounds like a success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like everyone had fun and learned a lot. So nice of you to share your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to inspire the next generation of quilters! I made an hst quilt, just black and yellow - it literally looked likes stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why hanging around with kids is so great! They have the best ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! It makes me want to make a bunch of good-sized HSTs and start playing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the great work!
    I am teaching a group of ladies a learn to quilt class at a community housing neighbourhood, and they are having so much fun and so proud of their accomplishments when the make a block. Their enthusiasm is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you all had a great time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I work as a Young Adult librarian and I absolutely LOVE visiting schools. Teens are such a fun crowd to work with. I bet you did have alot of fun showing them all of the cool things they can do. :) Thanks for sharing! -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  13. Might have inspired a whole new generation of quilters, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds wonderful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a good idea! The best publicity ever....if they had fun during your class they will never forget it and certainly start something to sew one day when they have a place for themselves don` t you think? A lot of people here also think that it is something for elderly ladies. I love the MQG idea too. I don`think it is really working in the Nnetherlands. I hope it will someday.
    groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I just love hearing from you!!
Have a Happy Quilting Day :)

Melissa